September 10: Introduction to the Club/ Dr. Stroman
- Write down the first two jobs you think you will have
- Write down the job you want in ten years
The Color Game
Green, Gold, Orange, and Blue-What color are you?
- Gold: You are a realistic person that is decisive, pays attention to rules/regulations, is organized, dependable, thorough, precise, and good at following through.
- Blue: You draw out the best in people, have good verbal and listening skills, express sympathy, are creative, like to learn new things, and can get people to work effectively together.
- Green: You like to look ahead to possibilities, set high standards, get right to the heart of the issue, see the big picture, and perform at your best when someone says, “It can be done”.
- Orange: You can handle a crisis very well, can negotiate well, are resourceful, honest, practical, adaptable, flexible, and above all you like to take risks.
Presentation: The 3 C’s to Getting the Job You Want
- Mention of Brian Tracy and his influence
- It’s all about who knows you on a favorable basis!
- Reputation and character matter most
- Ethics-never say anything negative that could be used against you in the future
- People must be confident in YOU
- It’s about trust-No one is going to recommend you for a job if they don’t trust that you’re the best person for it (their reputation is at stake).
- Be good at what you do
- Have Emotional Intelligence (EI)
- Social Awareness
- Relationship Management
- Be a lifelong learner
- Gain experience (usually means you’re going to have to volunteer first)
- Seek Feedback (learn how to improve)
- Get to know professors (not just know them, know them well)
- Recommendation letters will be necessary
What Characteristics Employers Seek:
- Intelligence – Ask questions
- Don’t make excuses – Take responsibility for your actions
- Integrity – Honesty
- Likeability – Teamwork
- Inner Strength
Use college and The Club to build your network, it’s never too early to start!